While traveling around Arcanum, you'll no doubt find several altars to the ancient gods of the world. If you talk to Aldous T. Buxington at the university in Tarant, he'll give you some clues about what the altars can do. In particular, he'll give you a book describing the gods and what you should offer them, and he'll have a painting called "Mazzerin's Mystery" hanging on his wall. The painting (shown above) gives you the relationships between the gods.
If you just go to an altar and give the correct offering, you'll get a blessing. The trick is to give the offerings in the correct order so you can accumulate blessings and eventually gain Velorien's (the All-Father's) blessing.
There are three circles of gods. When you give an offering to the greater god at the end of a circle, you'll lose all the other blessings from the lesser circles. And when you gain the blessing from Velorien, you'll lose the blessings from the greater gods. However, you don't have to continue making offerings if you don't want to. If you prefer the blessing you have to the one you would gain, then there's no reason to continue.
Lesser Gods Edit
Each of the lesser gods worship a certain race. There are three types of lesser gods: Noble, Neutral and Evil. Unless you give the offerings in the correct order, you will have only one blessing active at a time.
The Noble Lesser Gods Edit
Ter'el is the Elven God of Wisdom.
Location: A grove sacred to the elves at Falcon's Ache (1627W, 562S), near Qintarra.
Warning: Technologists can't talk to the merchant so it's best to buy a statue at the beginning of the game. It is still possible to get it by breaking open the chest of the Ashbury merchant or via lockpicking, but this is obviously not optimal.
Reward: +4 Bow, +1 Perception.
Geshtianna is the Human Goddess of Love.
Location: The town of Stillwater (1190W, 754S).
Offering: When you arrive you will find that you cannot make an offering because the statue has been stolen. You need to complete the quest Find the Stolen Idol first. After completing the quest, you can offer a Passion Root, which is growing nearby.
Warning: Dumb characters (less than 5 IN) cannot receive the quest to retrieve the statue of the goddess. This means that making an offering (and following the Ancient Gods quest to completion) on a dumb character playthrough is impossible unless IN is boosted through Essence of Intellect or otherwise.
Reward: +1 Beauty.
The Neutral Lesser Gods Edit
Alberich is the Dwarven God of Stone.
Location: Inside the Wheel Clan caves.
Offering: Lava Rock, which can be found in the Black Mountain Clan caves (1307W, 752S).
Reward: +1 Strength.
Makaal is the Bedokaan God of the Hunt.
Location: Bedokaan Village (1179W, 315S).
Offering: Requires Heartstone, which is lying nearby.
Warning: If you betray the Bedokaan lizards to the poachers, the altar will stop working.
Warning: Dumb characters (less than 5 IN) cannot receive the quest to rescue the lost elven hunter from Mr. Winde, meaning that the Bedokaan Village cannot be marked on the map by normal means.
Reward: +1 Dexterity.
Bolo is the Halfling God of Thieves.
Offering: Any type of ring.
Reward: +4 Pickpocket, +4 Pick Locks.
Kerlin is the Gnome God of Gold.
Location: Kerlin's Altar (881w, 424S), North from the Grey Mountains.
Offering: a Mnura Coin, usually found in dungeons and magic chests.
Reward: +4 Haggle, +4 Persuasion.
The Darker Lesser Gods Edit
Shakar is the Orcish God of War.
Location: His altar is at Kree (635W, 1204S) - location can be found out from Taddeus Mynor, a representative at the Thieves Underground in Tarant.
Offering: Bone Dagger or Reaper's Axe or Kite Sword
Reward: +4 Dodge, +4 Melee.
Torg is the Ogre God of Heart.
Offering: A regular ruby.
Reward: +1 Constitution.
Greater Gods Edit
When you complete an offering to a greater god, you will lose the rewards from the lesser gods.
Halcyon is the God of Truth.
Location: Vooriden (871W, 1190S), but first you have to fix it, you get the quest from the priest.
Offering: Olive Tree Branch, located at a garden in the Wheel Clan caves.
Reward: +2 Willpower, +2 Perception, +4 Heal, +4 Spot Trap.
Moorindal is the God of Shadows.
Location: The Ancient Temple (776W, 919S).
Offering: Black Diamond.
Reward: +8 Backstab, +4 Melee, +10 Critical Hit Chance, +4 Prowling.
Kaitan is the God of Balance.
Offering: Geode, which is lying under the altar.
Reward: +1 Beauty, +1 Charisma, +2 Persuasion, +1 Haggle, +1 Bow.
Velorien is the All-Father.
Location: Vendigroth Ruins (306W, 588S), on one of the lower levels.
Reward: The ultimate blessing: +100 hit points, +100 fatigue, +12 melee, +12 dodge, +12 pickpocket, +12 firearms, +12 persuasion, +4 dexterity, +30 damage resistance, +30 magic resistance.
Lesser Gods' blessings Edit
You can get their blessings as you like, but only one can be active at a time:
- Alberich – Strength +1
- Bolo – Pick Pocket +4, Pick Locks +4
- Geshtianna – Beauty +1
- Kerlin – Haggle +4, Persuasion +4
- Makaal – Dexterity +1
- Shakar – Melee +4, Dodge +4
- Ter'el – Perception +1, Bow +4
- Torg – Constitution +1
Greater Gods' blessings Edit
You cannot get these blessings unless you're on the path to the ultimate blessing:
- Halcyon – Willpower +2, Perception +2, Heal +4, Spot Trap +4
- Kai'tan – Persuasion +8, Haggle +4, Bow +4, Charisma +1, Beauty +1
- Moorindal – Backstab +8, Melee +4, Critical Hit Chance +10, Prowling +4
All-Father's blessing Edit
- Velorien – +100 hit points, +100 fatigue, +12 melee, +12 dodge, +12 pickpocket, +12 firearms, +12 persuasion, +4 dexterity, +30 damage resistance, +30 magic resistance
Offerings and their locations Edit
- Alberich – Lava Rock, found on the ground in various caves, such as Black Mountain Clan caves.
- Bolo – Any type of ring, found almost everywhere.
- Geshtianna – Passion Root, found on the ground nearby.
- Halcyon – Olive Branch, found at the garden in Wheel Clan caves.
- Kaitan – Geode, found in the various Dwarven mines.
- Kerlin – Mnura Coin, found inside magical chests and dungeons.
- Makaal – Heartstone, lying on the ground in Bedokaan Village.
- Moorindal – Black Diamond, available at Black Markets, The Bangellian Deeps, Wheel Clan and Ancient Maze.
- Shakar – Bone-handled Weapon, available at Weapon dealers & Gypsies, Caladon sewers and catacombs.
- Ter'el – Li'tani, sold by the Elven Trader at Ashbury.
- Torg – Ruby, found inside magical and regular chests.
- Velorien – You.
Altar inscriptions Edit
|Ter'el's Altar||Offer to him
Who cannot see
|Makaal's Altar||Call not to the Snake-fathers
Unless you dream the cold-blood dream
|Alberich's Altar||Do you know of Dwarven Stone?
Is anything so true?
|Geshtianna's Altar||Geshtianna, we pray
That you show us your Love
|Halcyon's Altar||Halcyon, great god of truth
Master of the sky
|Torg's Altar||Great Torg, mighty Torg
You know our bone and blood
|Bolo's Altar||Bolo, clever thief
Progo, watchful eye
|Kerlin's Altar||Kerlin, heart of gold
Who sung the world to be
|Shakar's Altar||Great Horned God
Terrible, powerful, Great Horned God
|Moorindal's Altar||Flows like a shadow
Over the ground
|Kai'tan's Altar||She weighs your worth
Within her hands
|Velorien's Altar||All gods have a father
And he watches over them
The path to the All-Father's blessing Edit
In order to achieve the ultimate blessing, give the listed offerings in this order:
|Ter'el||Falcon's Ache||Li'tani||PE +1, Bow +4|
|Makaal||Bedokaan Village||Heartstone||DX +1|
|Alberich||Wheel Clan||Lava Rock||ST +1|
|Geshtianna||Stillwater||Passion Root||BE +1|
|Halcyon||Vooriden||Olive Branch||WP +2, PE +2, Heal +4, Spot Trap +4|
|Torg||Torg's Altar||Ruby (any)||CN +1|
|Bolo||Bolo's Altar||Ring (any)||Pick Pocket +4, Pick Locks +4|
|Kerlin||Kerlin's Altar||Mnura Coin||Haggle +4, Persuasion +4|
|Shakar||Kree||Bone Dagger or Reaper's Axe||Melee +4, Dodge +4|
|Moorindal||Ancient Temple||Black Diamond||Backstab +8, Melee +4, Critical Hit Chance +10, Prowling +4|
|Alberich (2nd time)||Wheel Clan||Lava Rock||ST +1|
|Makaal (2nd time)||Bedokaan Village||Heartstone||DX +1|
|Kerlin (2nd time)||Kerlin's Altar||Mnura Coin||Haggle +4, Persuasion +4|
|Bolo (2nd time)||Bolo's Altar||Ring (any)||Pick Pocket +4, Pick Locks +4|
|Kai'tan||Gorgoth Pass||Geode||Persuasion +8, Haggle +4, Bow +4, CH +1, BE +1|
|Velorien||Vendigroth Ruins||your life||HP +100, FT +100, Melee +12, Dodge +12, Pick Pocket +12, Firearms +12, Persuasion +12, DX +4, DR +30, MR +30|
NOTE: It's useful to know that each skill can range from 0 to 20. That would mean that getting +12 Melee from Velorien's Blessing would give you 12 out of 20 possible points in that skill. Whenever you raise a skill manually (with Character Points) you generally raise it +4. The algorithm is slightly more complex - you can find it on the Skills page.
The Lesser Gods can inflict a curse upon the player character under certain circumstances. Here is an example of how this can occur and some variations that can happen based on what the character does after receiving the curse. This case assumes that the character has made no offerings beforehand.
- The character makes an offering to Ter'el, receiving +1 PE, +4 Bow.
- The character makes an offering to Bolo. Because Bolo is the god "opposite" to Ter'el, the character receives Ter'el's curse (-1 PE, -4 Bow). Ter'el's blessing will be removed, and Bolo's blessing will not be received.
- The character makes another offering to Bolo. Ter'el's curse will not be removed, but Bolo's blessing will now be received (+4 Pick Pocket, +4 Pick Locks).
- The character makes an offering to Ter'el. Ter'el's curse gets removed, and Bolo's blessing stays.
- The character makes another offering to Ter'el. One would expect that Bolo's curse is given at this point rather than the blessing of Ter'el, but this does not happen. Instead, they receive Ter'el's blessing, and Bolo's blessing is simply removed.
It can be hard to tell which god is "opposite" to which without experimentation.
- Geshtianna opposes Kerlin
- Ter'el opposes Bolo
- Alberich opposes Shakar
- Makaal opposes Torg