Humans are the root stock of all the Median races, and one of the oldest peoples of Arcanum. They are the children of pure Natural Selection; fossil evidence clearly indicates that our forebears and the early dwarves diverged from one another some 2,000,000 years ago, and since that time the two bloodlines have evolved along parallel courses. Just as the dwarves are the progenitors of all the Minute races, Humans are the living root of all other thinking beings in Arcanum, including such ancient offshoots as the elves and Giants, and the modern sub-species we know as orcs.
The basic Human ranges from 60 to 75 inches or 175 centimeters in height, and weighs between 600 and 1,200 stone. The average length of a Human life is some 80 years, although some members of the race may live to be 100 if they are very fortunate; any longer span of life must be achieved by magick.
The character of the Human race is varied and diverse. Humans tend to form groups based on the immediate family, and show great affection for their mates and children. They are by far the most numerous of all the races of Arcanum, and can be found everywhere, living in all lands and climes. Humans pursue every imaginable occupation; Human stubbornness is such that they will not allow themselves to be barred from any place or profession, no matter how they must bend to adapt themselves to it.
View in SocietyEdit
Humans seem to lack any inborn prejudices, with the exception for a violent and unreasonable hatred of Orcs, whom they find loathsome on sheer instinct. Most Humans also exhibit a vivid fear and hatred of ogres, which also extends to any creatures that have a taste for Human flesh.
Despite the lack of an inherently magickal nature, Humans are sometimes able to master the Art and achieve some small success in spellcraft. On the other hand, the high native intelligence and great curiosity of Humans grants them a gift for the application of Natural Law; Humans also develop and control more Technology than any other race.
- Solomon Doone (pre-made player character, male)
- Victoria Warrington (pre-made player character, female)
Humans from the Unified Kingdom Edit
- Virgil, healer and Panarii monk (potential follower)
- Perriman Smythe, wizard (potential follower)
- Geoffrey Tarellond-Ashe, necromancer, Ashbury (potential follower)
- Constable Owens, mayor and police chief of Shrouded Hills
- Percival Toone and Bessie Toone, mining business family, Shrouded Hills
- Doc Roberts, general practitioner and gunfighter, Shrouded Hills
(potential temporary follower and trainer)
- Sebastian, technologist, Tarant, The Boil (potential follower)
- Cynthia Boggs, prisoner from the Isle of Despair, (potential temporary follower)
- Adkin Chambers, master of dodge in combat, Stillwater
Humans from the Kingdom of Cumbria Edit
- Dante, gunslinger, Black Root (potential follower)
- Garrick Stout, captain of the royal guard, Dernholm)
- Herkemer Oggdoddler, veteran soldier, retired, Black Root (trainer)
- Sarah Toone, living in Dernholm
Humans from the Kingdom of Arland Edit
Player character portraits - Male
Player character portraits - Female